Aug 25, 2010
12:08 AM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
CLOSED1001 Healthy Baby Answers by Dr. Gary Morchower contains the most common questions parents have about a variety of different conditions and disorders. There are over 125 different childhood ailments discussed with expert answers detailing everything you need to know about causes, symptoms, treatments, follow up, and more.
- Chicken Pox
- Sleep Disorders
About the Author
Dr. Gary Morchower is a board-certified pediatrician and President of the Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas. A graduate of Tulane University and Tulane Medical School, he has received numerous honors and awards, including the Robert Moore M.D. Outstanding Teaching Award. He lives in Dallas, Texas.
The first thing that came into my head when I opened this book was "wow"! There are so many topics discussed, and even though I pride myself on knowing a LOT about medical conditions, even I learned something. For example, did you know that mononucleosis (aka mono) causes spleen enlargement? When I had the disease in high school, all I knew was that I wasn't allowed to play in gym class for 6 weeks (woo hoo), but what I didn't know was that it's because my spleen was enlarged and could therefore rupture more easily. Because of this, someone with mono needs to avoid contact sports until his/her spleen is back to its normal size. Very cool...and something I had no idea about before reading this book.
Besides learning things, I love how each section is written by an expert in the field. For example, the discussion of ear infections was written by a doctor of otolaryngology (aka ear, nose and throat doctor), not just by a pediatrician.
The book is split into two parts: common conditions in newborns and common conditions in children and adolescents. This way, if you have a newborn, you don't need to go searching through the many childhood diseases to find what you're looking for. These parts are then organized alphabetically for even easier searching. There's a table of contents in the front, so it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to find the particular disease you are looking to read about. This book has everything from cleft lip to sinusitis, jaundice to head lice and everything in between.
The book is available in paperback on Amazon.com for $15.25 ($$$) and is worth every penny - and probably costs less than one doctor co-pay! We give 1001 Healthy Baby Answers a 10/10, so go buy a copy for yourself today!
Or, you can win a copy of 1001 Healthy Baby Answers here! There will be TWO winners!!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
First, you must publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect. Then, comment here and tell me one disease/condition you are hoping to find in this book.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet the following message once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet.
@TheTwinners has great #giveaways! Enter to #win a copy of the book 1001 Healthy Baby Answers! #Giveaway ends 9/8. http://bit.ly/dwqx6J
4) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook.
5) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
6) Follow my personal blog, Elana's Musings.
7) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
8) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
9) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
10) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways and/or commenting on a non-giveaway post (1 additional entry per CURRENT OPEN giveaway/non-giveaway post, and make sure to leave separate comments for each. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 8/25 or non-giveaway posts from before 8/18 WILL BE DELETED.)
11) Enter my Baby Pool and comment here with the name you used to guess.
12) Join Swagbucks using this link.
13) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 5 additional entries), and you can do this once per day and make sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Make sure to comment 5 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on September 8, 2010 at midnight.
The winners will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent a copy of 1001 Healthy Baby Answers free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.