Sep 19, 2010
10:07 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
CLOSEDBlue Apple Books was founded in 2003 and is an independent publisher dedicated to producing top-notch, age-appropriate books for young children. From the beginning, Blue Apple has been focused on combining art and text to make the most readable, educational, and entertaining books for readers--especially for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.
Blue Apple is untraditional in a number of ways. Their books are created collaboratively, with authors, illustrators, editors, and designers working together. As an independent company, they have the flexibility to publish books they like, books they believe in, and books that are sure to be important for a child's development. They maintain relationships with all of their artists: each list features illustrators who have been with Blue Apple since the beginning and others who are just getting their start, many of whom work on their books right in their New Jersey offices.
Each one of their books addresses an important theme in early childhood: separation, loss, and reunion; the emotional bond between parents and children; the development of empathy. They also take a child's intellectual development into account to cover concepts such as colors, counting, shapes, and letter sounds.
Blue Apple Books sent me three really neat items to review: a book, a set of placemats and a set of bibs.
I love this book for a number of reasons. First of all, it's simple. There's a realistic picture of a food identified with one word. (For example, the first page is a picture of an ear of corn and it just says "corn".) The pictures themselves are raised, so a child can feel the word and the shape. The colors and drawings are accurate, so a child should easily be able to recognize the same food in the refrigerator. Also awesome is that every food presented is either a fruit or a vegetable with only one exception (and the exception is NOT cookies or some other incredibly unhealthy food choice). I wouldn't blink an eye at serving my twins any of the foods presented, and actually they've eaten every single fruit and vegetable in there. You can buy Eat for $6.99 ($$$$). We give this book a 9.5/10!
These placemats are just adorable. The book is a set of 36 full-color placemats featuring Greenie, who helps little eaters choose from a rainbow of different fruits and vegetables. On the back of each placemat, the food is drawn in black line for coloring. Each placemat concentrates on one color and shows several different foods of that color, and on every page Greenie asks, "I'm green, bananas are YELLOW...are you eating something yellow?" (Obviously not the same food/color on every page, but it's the same idea.) I just love how the picture on the back can be colored in, so kids will have something to keep them busy while waiting for food at a restaurant. And the front sides are educational with healthy food options in all colors of the rainbow. I am so excited to start using these with the twins...once they decide that paper is not for eating. *sigh* You can buy Are You Eating Something Green? for $9.99 ($$$$). We give this book a 9.5/10!
This book is a pad of 20 tear-off bibs that are brightly colored and fun for kids. Each bib is made of a waterproof, disposable material and can be placed securely around a child's neck with a tab closure. There are bibs of all different colors and designs, but I'd say that this set is more geared toward boys--although there's nothing wrong with a girl wearing a green bib with peas on it! I love the material that they're made of. It feels strong yet light, but the closure is not very secure. The twins love pulling off their bibs at this point, so anything without a snap or a tie just won't stay on. We're going to have to wait until they're a bit older to use these. They will really be great for going to restaurants, though. Easy to take along and we don't have to worry about taking regular bibs that we then have to bring home and wash. You can buy Bibs To Go for $12.99 ($$$$). We give this "book" a 9/10!
One very lucky reader will win these same books from Blue Apple Books!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
First, visit the Blue Apple Books website. Then, comment here and tell me about another book you'd love to read.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet the following message once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet.
@TheTwinners has great #giveaways! Enter today to #win a set of books from Blue Apple Books! #Giveaway ends 10/3. http://bit.ly/ak77Jr
4) Become a fan of Blue Apple Books on Facebook, and be sure to let them know that The Twinners sent you!
5) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook.
6) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
7) Follow my personal blog, Elana's Musings.
8) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
9) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
10) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
11) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways and/or commenting on a non-giveaway post (1 additional entry per CURRENT OPEN giveaway/non-giveaway post, and make sure to leave separate comments for each. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 9/19 or non-giveaway posts from before 9/12 WILL BE DELETED.)
12) Enter my Baby Pool and comment here with the name you used to guess.
13) Join Swagbucks using this link.
14) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 5 additional entries), and you can do this once per day and make sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Make sure to comment 5 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on October 3, 2010 at midnight.
You must live in the US or Canada to enter. The winner will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent these three books from Blue Apple Books free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.