Oct 1, 2010
4:50 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
CLOSEDAward-winning author Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. In addition, she writes book reviews for The New York Journal of Books, Blogcritics Magazine's "Kiddie Corner," and SimplyCharly.com. She's had over 300 reviews, interviews, stories, and articles published in print and online. Mayra is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) and the Children's Writer's Coaching Club.
Mayra was sweet enough to send me a copy of her book The Magic Violin. This is a delightful book for young readers about a girl who wants to be a good violinist. When she loses confidence in her playing abilities, her violin teacher decides it’s time for a magic dose of self esteem. Later on, the girl meets a mysterious old woman who gives her some curious advice. The question is, however, is the girl actually playing better, or has her violin become magical? Also, who really is the old woman in the town square?
This book will make you feel good and teaches young children about the power of self confidence. Kids who are having difficulty with a new instrument, new sport, or any new skill will be motivated by this book to persevere through the tough learning times. The book really reminded me about the power of mind over matter. If you give someone a placebo pill and tell them it's a pill to help them with pain, their pain can disappear as if they had really been given pain medication. The same goes here...make someone believe that their violin will magically help them play better, and they will play better even though it's the same old violin (just a more confident player).
- PDF eBook download $5.00 ($$$)
- eBook on CD $9.95 + $5.95 shipping ($$$$$)
- print book $10.95 + $6.95 shipping ($$$$$)
How would you like to win a copy of The Magic Violin?
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
First, visit Mayra's Secret Bookcase. Then, comment here and tell me about another one of her books that you'd love to read.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @mcalvani on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
4) Tweet the following message once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet.
@TheTwinners has great #giveaways! Enter today to #win the book The Magic Violin by @mcalvani! #Giveaway ends 10/15. http://bit.ly/9vBUYX
5) Become a fan of Mayra Calvani on Facebook, and be sure to let her know that The Twinners sent you!
6) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook.
7) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
8) Follow Mayra's blog.
9) Follow my personal blog, Elana's Musings.
10) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
11) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
12) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
13) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways and/or commenting on a non-giveaway post (1 additional entry per CURRENT OPEN giveaway/non-giveaway post, and make sure to leave separate comments for each. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 10/1 or /non-giveaway posts from before 9/24 WILL BE DELETED.)
14) Enter my Baby Pool and comment here with the name you used to guess.
15) Join Swagbucks using this link.
16) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 5 additional entries), and you can do this once per day and make sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Make sure to comment 5 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on October 15, 2010 at midnight.
The winner will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent the book The Magic Violin free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.