Nov 26, 2010
1:30 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
CLOSEDMake 5 Dinners in One Hour".
This is such an amazing concept. Michelle created a plan to cook all five dinners for the week in just ONE hour. All of the menu plans have family friendly meals that feed 4-6 people and no, they are not all casseroles. The meals are fresh, not frozen and will keep in your refrigerator until ready to heat and eat.
Michelle sent me a full month's worth of dinner recipes, and although not all of them are kosher, there are ways to tweak the recipes and make some of them kosher. Some super, amazing parts of her plan are the grocery list, separated by section (ie dairy, canned, freezer, etc), and step-by-step directions. There is no way you could mess up these meals. The recipes also sound incredibly delicious and many of them are healthy or can be made in a healthy way.
We could never ever eat five different dinners in one week because we'd have too many leftovers and things would go bad, so I only cooked three of the meals in week 1. I followed the directions, but it took me two hours to actually put everything together. Meal #1 (that's the picture directly above "My Take") is a slow cooker chicken dish and took maybe 10 minutes to put everything together. It was super easy--just put all ingredients in a bag, done. Now when I want to cook it, I just throw it all into the slow cooker and cook it. Meal #2 (that's the picture at the top) took a long time to make. You can see that it's fish and chips, and yes I made the french fries myself (and they're SUPER YUMMY!) Anyway, it took a while to cut the potatoes into fries and then season them. Then I realized I had forgotten to thaw the fish. Oops! So, it took some time for me to get the fish thawing. Then I finished preparing meal #2 by making tartar sauce, which took minimal time. Meal #3 (pictured below) is a southwestern egg bake. I needed to grate the cheese for this myself because finding kosher pre-grated cheese for relatively cheap is impossible. So, that added some time onto my preparations. Once that was finished, the rest of meal #3 preparations took a very short amount of time, especially since I used Egg Beaters type eggs rather than actual eggs. (It's way healthier and cut a lot of time out of preparing that dish.) Then, since the fish was thawed, I finished preparing meal #2. Breading the fish took a very, very long time. I had a lot of pieces and couldn't remove the skin, so it was quite difficult. The breadcrumbs also began sticking together, and I ran out of my breadcrumb mixture a few times and had to make more. Ahh well, live and learn! But it looks great, and I can't wait to taste it.
I don't know if you can actually assemble all five meals in the span of one hour, since it took me a lot longer to only do three, but maybe a better chef than I might be able to. Also, all of the assembled meals can fit on ONE shelf in your refrigerator. Then, when you're ready to cook that evening's meal, the prep time is minimal, basically just throwing whatever it is into the oven and preparing an easy side dish (like rice or a salad). Michelle also posts recipes on her blog a few times each week, so you can try something different outside of your "meal plan" if you are so inclined.
Cost: You can subscribe to receive 4 weeks worth of menus each month, and it's $15.00 for a 3 month subscription. (That's $1.25 per menu.) ($$$)
Overall: We give Make 5 Dinners in One Hour a 9/10!
Make 5 Dinners in One Hour? There will be TWO winners!!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
Leave a comment telling me what you're cooking for dinner tonight and how long it will take you to make it.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet the following message once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet.
@TheTwinners #giveaways! Enter to #win a month of dinner recipes from Make 5 Dinners in 1 Hour! #Giveaway ends 12/10. http://bit.ly/h1Ay4i
4) Become a fan of Make 5 Dinners in 1 Hour on Facebook, and be sure to let them know that The Twinners sent you!
5) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook.
6) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
7) Follow the Make 5 Dinners in One Hour blog.
8) Follow my personal blog, Elana's Musings.
9) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
10) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
11) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
12) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways and/or commenting on a non-giveaway post (1 additional entry per CURRENT OPEN giveaway/non-giveaway post, and make sure to leave separate comments for each. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 11/26 or non-giveaway posts from before 11/19 WILL BE DELETED.)
13) Enter my Baby Pool and comment here with the name you used to guess.
14) Join Swagbucks using this link.
15) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 4 additional entries), and you can do this once per day and make sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Make sure to comment 4 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on December 10, 2010 at midnight.
The winners will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent a one-month menu plan from Make 5 Dinners in 1 Hour free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.