Dec 7, 2010
10:26 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
CLOSEDWe are *huge* Sandra Boynton fans in this house. We have a ton of her books, and the twins love it when we read them. I love every Sandra Boynton book I've read. We even get cries of "More! More!" for the books that might get on an adult's nerves when read five times in a row out loud. We have some favorite characters, of course (Little Pookie, anyone?), but we'll read any of her books. That's what I was incredibly excited when given the opportunity to review two brand new books by Sandra Boynton, ones that are a little bit different from the board books we're used to.
This is probably one of the funniest books I've ever read. It's all about (you guessed it) cows. Cow stories, cow jokes, cow games, cow silliness! There's even a cow comic strip in the middle. The style is classic Sandra Boynton and will have you laughing out loud. The pictures are colorful and engaging and will look familiar to any Sandra Boynton fan. This is a fantastic book for kids aged 4-8, the older of which should be able to read the book to themselves. I guarantee it will keep your child quietly occupied (as it is over 90 pages long) while you do something important (like cooking dinner). You can buy a copy of Amazing Cows on Amazon.com for $7.88. ($$$)
When I opened up my copy of Blue Moo, I got the shock of my life...it is signed!!! A book signed by my favorite children's book author is a dream come true. :-) In any case, this is the coolest songbook I've ever seen. It comes with a CD (that looks like an old fashioned LP) with several songs recorded by actual musical artists (some of whose names you will recognize, like B.B. King and Sha Na Na). The songbook is split into two sections - one with just lyrics, the other that has the sheet music for each song. This is fantastic first helping your children to learn the words and then later teaching them how to read the music for those songs. As a musician myself, this is great! It's difficult for someone who can't read music to pick out the lyrics to a song within sheet music, so having the separate section with lyrics only is fantastic. The songs themselves are silly and will have your children singing and dancing right along with the music. There are also descriptive pictures on every page that really add to the overall feeling of the songs. The whole book is designed to make you feel like you've gone back in time to the 1950's - the songs, the pictures, etc. I just love it! You can buy a copy of Blue Moo on Amazon.com for $11.53. ($$$)
Overall: We give Amazing Cows and Blue Moo a 10/10!
How would you like to win a copy of Amazing Cows and Blue Moo? There will be TWO WINNERS!!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
First, visit Sandra Boynton's website, then comment here and tell me which Sandra Boynton book is your favorite (or which one you'd like to own, if you're not familiar with her books).
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet the following message once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet.
@TheTwinners has great #giveaways! Enter to #win 2 new Sandra Boynton books - 2 winners! #Giveaway ends 12/21. http://bit.ly/f54xNT
4) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook.
5) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
6) Follow my personal blog, Elana's Musings.
7) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
8) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
9) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
10) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways and/or commenting on a non-giveaway post (1 additional entry per CURRENT OPEN giveaway/non-giveaway post, and make sure to leave separate comments for each. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 12/7 or non-giveaway posts from before 11/30 WILL BE DELETED.)
11) Enter my Baby Pool and comment here with the name you used to guess. (This will only be open until 12/16!)
12) Join Swagbucks using this link.
13) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 4 additional entries), and you can do this once per day and make sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Make sure to comment 4 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on December 21, 2010 at midnight.
The winners will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent Amazing Cows and Blue Moo free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.