Jan 26, 2011
5:39 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
CLOSEDThe Classic Treasury of Childhood Wonders (National Geographic Children's Books), with this simple yet powerful thought:
"If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves."
Catching your shadow. Daydreaming. Banging pots. Dress-Up. In today’s fast-paced and over-scheduled world of carpools, activity spreadsheets and Nintendo DS, simple wonders of childhood - and the special moments between parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and the little ones they love - are often lost. In Childhood Wonders, Susan masterfully blends a vintage design and feel with a collection of activities, poems, nursery rhymes and art that underscores her philosophy on the best ways to encourage learn-through-play experiences and create special memories to last a lifetime.
Divided into five sections that illuminate a child’s world and interests - Magic and Make-Believe; Outdoor Exploring; Crafts and Construction; Yummy for the Tummy; and Bedtime, Bathtime, and Dreamtime - Childhood Wonders is more than a great gift book. It gives families a tool to reconnect with childhood whimsy and explore the importance of learning through play. Childhood Wonders is a unique and lasting gift for kids, families, new parents and grandparents.
Be sure to check out Susan Magsamen's Family Stories website.
This is such a great book for kids. Each section is formatted in the same way, beginning with a page of poems/sayings/stories/songs, then a page with information related to an activity, and finally a page with a specific activity with directions. For example, in the section about going to bed, there's a set of pages about stuffed animals and getting tucked into bed. The first page has the song "Frère Jacques", the poem "Starlight, Star Bright" and the story of Sleeping Beauty. The second page talks about stuffed animals and getting tucked into bed, and the third page has directions on the "best" way of getting tucked into bed.
I really enjoyed reading all of the different poems, songs, and stories, and there are so many great ideas for activities to do with your child. Each activity has specific skills that children can master - such as communication, critical thinking, and confidence. And the activities are fun, too, so your child doesn't even realize he/she is learning important life skills. I can't wait to try some of these activities out with my kids...especially some of the recipes in the food section! YUM!!!!! Heck, why wait? I may make some Chocolate Crackles or Cherry Limeade right now.
Cost: You can buy The Classic Treasury of Childhood Wonders on Amazon.com for $14.96. ($$$)
Overall: We give The Classic Treasury of Childhood Wonders a 10/10!
Two very lucky readers will each win a copy of The Classic Treasury of Childhood Wonders!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
First, visit the National Geographic Kids website. Then, comment here and tell me about something you learned there.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet the following message once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet.
@TheTwinners has #giveaways! Enter to #win a copy of The Classic Treasury of Childhood Wonders! #Giveaway ends 2/9. http://bit.ly/fkKmaM
4) Become a fan of National Geographic Kids on Facebook, and be sure to let them know that The Twinners sent you!
5) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook.
6) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
7) Follow my personal blog, Elana's Musings.
8) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
9) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments).
10) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 2 additional entries (be sure to leave two separate comments). Make sure you have my updated button or your entries don't count!!
11) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways and/or commenting on a non-giveaway post (1 additional entry per CURRENT OPEN giveaway/non-giveaway post, and make sure to leave separate comments for each. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 1/26 or non-giveaway posts from before 1/19 WILL BE DELETED.)
12) Join Swagbucks using this link.
13) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 4 additional entries), and you can do this once per day and make sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Make sure to comment 4 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on February 9, 2011 at midnight.
You must live in the US or Canada to enter. The winners will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent The Classic Treasury of Childhood Wonders free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.