Apr 3, 2011
8:44 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
"Last year Godwin Honors Hall was draped in black. The university was mourning the loss of one of its own: Nicole Werner, a blond, beautiful, straight-A sorority sister tragically killed in a car accident that left her boyfriend, who was driving, remarkably—some say suspiciously—unscathed.
Although a year has passed, as winter begins and the nights darken, obsession with Nicole and her death reignites: She was so pretty. So sweet-tempered. So innocent. Too young to die...unless she didn’t. Because rumor has it that she’s back. "
About the Author:
"Laura Kasischke was raised in Grand Rapids, Michigan and attended the University of Michigan, where she now teaches in the MFA program and the Residential College. She has published seven collections of poetry, and seven novels, including the recent bestseller In a Perfect World. Her writing has won numerous awards, and two of her novels have been made into films, including The Life Before Her Eyes (2007) starring Uma Thurman. She lives with her family in Chelsea, Michigan."
The Raising is a chilling, thriller novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat. The characters are all so real, that you become fully invested into what happens to each of them. You wonder, right along with them, what actually happened the night that Nicole Werner died...if she really did die.
The plot of the book is completely captivating, and by the end of the book you will be so engrossed that you cannot put it down. You will imagine that you are living on this college campus, and you will feel that you are back in your 20's. I only wish that the ending had been different... People's lives are forever changed by the happenings in this book, but it's not "happily ever after."
Cost: You can buy The Raising for $8.99 from Amazon.com. ($$$)
Overall: We give The Raising an 8/10.
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
Comment here and tell me about your favorite book.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet about this giveaway once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet. (Please use the following retweet button - click where it says "tweet", not on the number bubble and make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page)
4) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook and post on your Facebook wall about the giveaway using the link below (make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page). Then, comment here with the permalink to your Facebook wall post.
5) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
6) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
7) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments).
8) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments). Make sure you have my updated button or your entries don't count!!
9) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways, and make sure to leave separate comments for each giveaway entered. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 4/3 WILL BE DELETED.)
10) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 3 additional entries). You can do this once per day, and be sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Please comment 3 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on April 17, 2011 at midnight.
You must live in the US to enter. The winner will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We were sent The Raising free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.