Apr 17, 2011
12:13 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
"Twenty-four-year-old Daniella is an architecture student living with her narcissistic artist boyfriend in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Abandoned by her father at an early age, Daniella always falls for the wrong type of man. Her most enduring male relationship so far is with her 30-pound Turkish angora cat. Thankfully, Daniella’s mother is always there to offer a shoulder.
Several strange mysteries are threaded through Daniella’s everyday life: her ex-husband, Ismael, has just opened an outlandish hotel for animal lovers that has her distraught; Ismael’s wife, a rich woman Daniella fondly refers to as “Lady Dracula,” has some gruesome ways to keep her skin looking young; Daniella’s mother is founding a revolutionary, feminist society called The Praying Mantises; the island’s national forest is being depleted of hallucinogenic mushrooms; meanwhile, young girls are disappearing and there’s a nut loose dressed as Zorro slashing the rear ends of women who wear miniskirts.
Oppressed by all these crazed, eccentric characters, Daniella feels herself falling into an abyss. Then something horrendous happens, making Daniella wake from her stupor and take charge of her life."
About the Author:
"Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. She’s co-author of The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing, a ForeWord Best Book of the Year Award winner. She’s had over 300 stories, articles, interviews and reviews published. In addition, she’s co-editor of Voice in the Dark ezine. A reviewer for more than a decade, she now offers numerous book reviewer workshops online. She’s represented by Mansion Street Literary. Visit her website at www.MayraCalvani.com. For her children’s books, visit www.MayrasSecretBookcase.com.
I love Mayra's children's books, and now I have something new to love! Sunstruck will keep you guessing with suspense, mystery and satire expertly woven together. Daniella is an engaging main character who helps the reader navigate through the plot while also including a bit of her own "diary" throughout. By the end of the book, you will be so hooked that you cannot wait to find out how all of the mysteries tie together. Plot twists and shockers await you!
Cost: You can buy Sunstruck for $11.69 from Amazon.com. ($$$)
Overall: We give Sunstruck a 9/10!
One very lucky reader will win a copy of Sunstruck!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
Comment here and tell me about your favorite genre of book.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @mcalvani on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
4) Tweet about this giveaway once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet. (Please use the following retweet button - click where it says "tweet", not on the number bubble and make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page)
5) Become a fan of Mayra Calvani on Facebook.
6) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook and post on your Facebook wall about the giveaway using the link below (make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page). Then, comment here with the permalink to your Facebook wall post.
7) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
8) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
9) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments).
10) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments). Make sure you have my updated button or your entries don't count!!
11) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways, and make sure to leave separate comments for each giveaway entered. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 4/17 WILL BE DELETED.)
12) Sign up for Listia and become my "fan" for 5 additional entries. Once you complete your first auction on Listia, you get 10 additional entries! You can also bid on my copy of "Sunstruck" on Listia and get 5 additional entries. (These entries are cumulative, so be sure to leave either five, ten, fifteen or twenty separate comments.)
13) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 3 additional entries). You can do this once per day, and be sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Please comment 3 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on May 1, 2011 at midnight.
The winner will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We received a copy of "Sunstruck" free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.