May 19, 2011
8:56 AM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
"Fifteen-year-old Julien Losier just wants to fit in. But after his family moves to a small village in central France in hopes of outrunning the Nazis, he is suddenly faced with bigger challenges than the taunting of local teens. Nina Krenkel left her country to obey her father's dying command: Take your brother and leave Austria. Burn your papers. Tell no one you are Jews. Alone and on the run, she arrives in Tanieux, France, dangerously ill and in despair.
Thrown together by the chaos of war, Julien begins to feel the terrible weight of the looming conflict and Nina fights to survive. As France falls to the Nazis, Julien struggles with doing what is right, even if it is not enough - and wonders whether or not he really can save Nina from almost certain death.
Based on the true story of the town of Le Chambon - the only French town honored by Israel for rescuing Jews from the Holocaust - How Huge the Night is a compelling, coming-of-age drama that will keep teens turning the pages as it teaches them about a fascinating period of history and inspires them to think more deeply about their everyday choices."
About the Authors:
"Heather Munn was born in Northern Ireland and grew up in southern France where her parents were missionaries like their parents before them. She has a BA in literature from Wheaton College and now lives in a Christian intentional community in rural Illinois, where she and her husband, Paul, host free spiritual retreats for the poor, especially those transitioning out of homelessness or addiction. When not writing or hosting, she works on the communal farm.
Lydia Munn, daughter of missionary parents, grew up in Brazil. She received a BA in literature from Wheaton College, and an MA in Bible from Columbia Graduate School of Bible and Missions. With her husband, Jim, she has worked in church planting and Bible teaching since 1983, notably in St. Etienne, near the small town in the central mountains of France which forms the background of How Huge the Night. The Munns now live in Grenoble, France."
About the Giveaway:
Kregel Publications is sponsoring a $50 Amazon.com giveaway!
To enter all you have to do is send a tweet (using #litfuse) about How Huge the Night or share about it on Facebook!
If you tweet they'll capture your entry when you use the hashtag (#litfuse). If you share it on Facebook or your blog, just email them to let them know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Feel free to use the following retweet button - click where it says "tweet", not on the number bubble and make sure it's linking directly to this page.
Click below and copy & paste the text for Facebook:
How Huge the Night by Heather & Lydia Munn is a compelling, coming-of-age drama that will keep teens and adults alike turning the pages late into the night!
How Huge the Night is a fantastic book. It brought tears to my eyes more than once. The book recalls the heroism of what Jews call "Righteous Gentiles." Righteous Gentiles are the non-Jews who took their own lives in their hands to protect and save Jews during the Holocaust. There's even a section in Yad VaShem, the Israeli Holocaust memorial, dedicated to these Righteous Gentiles.
Julien, one of the main characters, learns to care more about others and realizes that everyone has good in them. His growth throughout the book is compelling, making the reader more likely to learn his lessons along with him. By the end of the book you too will understand the goodness in others, no matter how much you may "hate" them.
Nina and Gustav, two of the other main characters, both show an incredible amount of bravery and persevere even when it seems as though all is lost. Gustav's dedication to his sister's welfare is very touching.
The book's narration and plot are easy to follow, even with the relatively large cast of characters. How Huge the Night is a great read for anyone with an interest in World War II, the Holocaust, and Righteous Gentiles. Even though the main characters are all teenagers, you don't need to be a teenager to enjoy the book.
Cost: You can buy How Huge the Night for $10.19 on Amazon.com. ($$$)
Overall: We give How Huge the Night a 10/10!
How would you like to win my copy of How Huge the Night? (Read only once!)
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
Comment here and tell me if you know of anyone who either survived or perished in the Nazi Death Camps during the Holocaust. (I'd love to hear any stories you may have.)
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet about this giveaway once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet. (Please use the following retweet button - click where it says "tweet", not on the number bubble and make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page)
4) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook and post on your Facebook wall about the giveaway using the link below (make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page). Then, comment here with the permalink to your Facebook wall post.
5) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
6) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
7) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments).
8) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments). Make sure you have my updated button or your entries don't count!!
9) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways, and make sure to leave separate comments for each giveaway entered. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 5/19 WILL BE DELETED.)
10) Sign up for Listia and become my "fan" for 5 additional entries. Once you complete your first auction on Listia, you get 10 additional entries! (If you do both, you get 15 additional entries, and be sure to leave either five, ten or fifteen separate comments.)
11) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 2 additional entries). You can do this once per day, and be sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Please comment 2 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on June 2, 2011 at midnight.
You must live in the US to enter. The winner will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We received a copy of "How Huge The Night" in conjunction with Litfuse Blog Tours free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.