May 4, 2011
3:19 PM | Posted by Elana | Edit Post
I watched the documentary Unplanned, which documents Abby Johnson's transformation from whole-hearted pro-choice Planned Parenthood director to a Coalition for Life pro-life advocate. Let me tell you...if I hadn't been pro-life before watching, I sure am now. The beginning of the video tells about how Abby went up through the ranks working at Planned Parenthood and having Coalition for Life members peacefully protesting and praying outside of the clinic every day. Until one day when a doctor came in to do an ultrasound guided abortion and she was asked to assist. Her description of watching the baby on the ultrasound was completely heart-wrenching. She had been told over and over that babies couldn't feel until 28 weeks, but here she was watching an ultrasound of a 13 week old fetus who absolutely could feel what was happening. It's no wonder that she left her job at Planned Parenthood within days and joined Coalition for Life. Here's a trailer for the movie, which I know you'll enjoy watching.
I also want to let you know about the Unite for LIFE webcast. They're holding a free webcast featuring Abby Johnson that will benefit pregnancy care organizations. You can sign up to participate on May 17 at 8:00 p.m. (in all time zones) at www.uniteforlifewebcast.org. Unplanned the book and the DVD will be available for purchase as a package deal and 33% of each purchase will go to crisis pregnancy centers like CareNet, the National Institute of Family & Life Advocates, and Heartbeat International.
If you're wondering why I don't want women to have the "right to choose," I'll tell you something. I do think women should have the right to choose what to do with their bodies. We have the right to get piercings, have liposuction, or shave our hair off. But when you have an abortion, now you are forcing your choice onto another life...a baby that has a heartbeat and can feel. Except when medically necessary (ie having the baby would gravely endanger the mother's health to the point where most likely both mother and baby would die or when someone is carrying high order multiples and by reducing you greatly enhance the chances of having a live baby - both of which I would call "self-defense" on the part of the mother), aborting a baby is taking a life. Choose life, and give the baby up for adoption if you are not prepared to raise it. It's as simple as that. Or, better yet, use reliable birth control. Moms - talk to your daughters about safe sexual practices and encourage them to talk to you should they become pregnant accidentally, because that's your grandchild she's carrying...
One very lucky reader will win a copy of the Unplanned DVD!
Mandatory entry: (if you do not do this, the rest of your entries do not count!)
Comment here with your views on abortion - but I will delete any inappropriate or accusatory comments. Please keep it clean and non-aggressive! I know this is a heated subject, but we're not here to debate, I'm just curious about your thoughts.
Additional entries: (Please leave separate comments for each entry. One additional entry per action unless otherwise stated.)
1) Publicly follow this blog on Google Friend Connect or subscribe via RSS feed.
2) Follow @TheTwinners on Twitter and comment here with your Twitter screenname.
3) Tweet about this giveaway once per day and comment here each time with the permalink to your tweet for 1 additional entry per tweet. (Please use the following retweet button - click where it says "tweet", not on the number bubble and make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page)
4) Become a fan of The Twinners Reviews & Giveaways on Facebook and post on your Facebook wall about the giveaway using the link below (make sure it's linking directly to the giveaway page). Then, comment here with the permalink to your Facebook wall post.
5) Follow this blog on Networked Blogs.
6) Subscribe to The Twinners emails and comment here after you've confirmed your subscription.
7) Blog about this giveaway, make sure to directly link to this post and comment here with the URL for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments).
8) Add my button to your blog and comment with the URL of your blog for 5 additional entries (be sure to leave five separate comments). Make sure you have my updated button or your entries don't count!!
9) Get an unlimited number of additional entries for entering other The Twinners giveaways, and make sure to leave separate comments for each giveaway entered. Any comments for giveaways that are closed as of 5/18 WILL BE DELETED.)
10) Sign up for Listia and become my "fan" for 5 additional entries. Once you complete your first auction on Listia, you get 10 additional entries! You can also bid on my copy of "Unplanned" on Listia and get 5 additional entries. (These entries are cumulative, so be sure to leave either five, ten, fifteen or twenty separate comments.)
11) Vote for this blog by clicking each of the following icons for 1 additional entry per click (a total of 2 additional entries). You can do this once per day, and be sure to comment on all giveaways you're in! Please comment 2 times every day that you click to let me know you clicked for each one.
This giveaway will close on May 18, 2011 at midnight.
You must live in the US to enter. The winner will be picked via random.org and will have 48 hours to respond to my email or another winner will be chosen.
Make sure to leave me your email address with at least one of your entries so I can email you if you win. If your email address is on your blogger profile or on your blog that's fine too. If I cannot find your email address, I will mention that when I post the winner of the giveaway, and you'll have 48 hours to email me or another winner will be drawn.
We received a copy of the "Unplanned" DVD free of charge for the sole purpose of this review; no other compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.